What is UIDAI? What is its full form?
UIDAI refers to Unique Identification Authority of India. It is established under the provisions of Aadhaar Act 2016 [ i.e. Aadhaar (Targeted Delivery of Financial and Other Subsidies, Benefits and Services) Act, 2016]. UIDAI is a statutory body established by the Government of India vide its notification no 13012/ 64/ 2016 dt 12 July 2016 under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). It is entrusted with the objective to issue Unique Identification number (UID) to citizens of India named as Aadhar. The purpose behind introducing Aadhar was to
- Introduce a system wherein duplicate and fake identities could be eliminated
- Implement a cost-effective and efficient verification and authentication mechanism.
Under Aadhaar Act 2016 UIDAI undertakes
- Enrollment and Authentication
- Ensure Security
- Perform authentication
- Operation and Management
- Developing policies, procedure, and system for aadhaar enrollment
The authority has issued more than 120 Crore (approx) Aadhaar numbers to Indian residents till date and the counts are increasing every day. But the inception of UIDAI is not new. It was in existence way beyond Aadhaar Act 2016and The journey of UIDAI is quite interesting
- From the Year 2009-2015
UIDAI was working as an attachment officer under the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog), formerly known as planning Commission of India from 28th Jan 2009.
- From the Year 2015-2016
Later on, from 25 Sep 2015 UIDAI was made an attaching officer to Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY), formerly known as Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
What are the Vision and Mission of UIDAI?
UIDAI was established under Aadhaar Act 2016 with the vision to
- Provide Unique Identity to the citizens of India and
- Ensure digital authentication 24*7 from around the world.
The Authority’s mission includes
- Issuing Aadhaar Number
- Compliance of Aadhaar Act
- Make Rules and Regulations
- Provide for Good Governance
- Develop a sustainable organization
- Undertake Security and Confidentiality of information
- Ensure Technologically sound and reliable infrastructure
What are UIDAI’s core values?
The Unique Identification Authority of India has a whole set of core values through which its complete functioning is driven. The core values of UIDAI can be briefly pointed down as under
- Maintain integrity
- Driven by innovation
- Believe in transparency
- To facilitate good Governance
- Excellence in services it provides
- Committed to building an inclusive nation
- Value to partners and collaborative approach
- Continuous learning and quality improvements
What is the organization structure of UIDAI?
For making its vivid presence throughout the country UIDAI has a delegated organizational structure. It has
- One Head Quarters at New Delhi
- Eight Regional Offices and
- Two Data Centers
The Data Centers are located in the two key locations of the country namely,
- Hebbal, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Manesar, Gurugam, Haryana
Also, the Head Quarters of UIDAI are located in the center of India i.e. at New Delhi having the postal address as Unique Identification Authority Of India Government Of India (GOI) Bangla Sahib Road, Behind Kali Mandir, Gole Market, NEW DELHI -110001 The eight (8) Regional Offices of UIDAI are located at the following places and they cover in their ambit multiple states or union territories
States and Union Territories covered
|Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Pondicherry, Lakshadweep||Bengaluru||UIDAI Regional Office, Bengaluru Khanija Bhavan, No. 3rd Floor, South Wing Race Course Bengaluru -01|
|Haryana, Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh||Chandigarh||UIDAI Regional Office, Chandigarh SCO 139-141, 3RD AND 4TH Floor, Sector 17 -C, Chandigarh 160017|
|Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand||Delhi||UIDAI Regional Office, Delhi Ground Floor, Pragati Maidan, New-Delhi 110001|
|Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Assam Tripura and Sikkim, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh||Guwahati||UIDAI Regional Office, Guwahati Block -V, First Floor, House feed Complex, Beltola-Basistha Road, Dispur, Guwahati-781006|
|Orissa, Andaman and Nicobar, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh||Hyderabad||UIDAI Regional Office, Hyderabad 6th Floor, East Block, Swarna Jayanthi Complex, Beside Matrivanam Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500 038 Telangana State|
|Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow||UIDAI Regional Office, Lucknow 3rd Floor, Uttar Pradesh Samaj Kalyan Nirman Nigam Building, TC -46/V, Vibhuti Khand, Gomti Nagar, Lucknow 226010|
|Goa ,Dadar and Nagar haveli , Gujarat,Maharashtra ,Daman and Diu||Mumbai||UIDAI Regional Office,Mumbai 7th Floor ,MTNL Exchange ,GD Somani Marg ,Cuff Parade ,Colaba Mumbai -400005|
|West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand||Ranchi||UIDAI Regional Office, Ranchi 1st Floor RIADA Central Office Building Namkum Industrial Area Near STPI Lowadih , Ranchi 834010|
What are the services provided by UIDAI?
The various services provided by UIDAI include
- Aadhaar Enrollment
- Generation fo Aadhaar
- Aadhaar Updation
- E Aadhaar
- E KYC services
- Services of Authentication
- Aadhaar Status Notification
- Aadhaar Letter Delivery
- Locating enrollment Center
- Retrieve lost UID
- Aadhaar Number Verification
- Bank account linking status
- Check your credentials in Aadhar etc