How to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Account with SBI?
(Last Updated On: August 29, 2019)
Patriarchy has been a dominant pattern in India since the ancient period. It took years of struggle and sacrifices to reach where we are today. Issues like female foeticide, low sex ratio, illiteracy amongst females, child marriages, and sati were commonly practiced and are still practiced in some parts of the country. To overcome these hurdles and provide equal rights to girl child/women, the government of India launched several schemes. Schemes like Balika Samriddhi Yojana, Mukhyamantri Rajshri Yojana, CBSE Scholarship Scheme and Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. Several state government schemes were launched as well like Mukhyamantri Kanya Suraksha Yojana (Bihar), Nanda Devi Kanya Yojana (Uttarakhand), Mazi Kanya Bhagyashree Scheme (Maharashtra), and Mukhyamantri Laadli Yojana (Jharkhand). The government of India also launched a campaign, ‘Beti Bachao- Beti-Padhao’ to stop female foeticide and to encourage people to educate their girl child.
All these schemes were aimed at improving the socio-economic status of women in society. Amongst the schemes launched by the central government for a girl child, Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) is the most recent scheme as it was launched in the year 2015.
What is a ‘Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana’?
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a part of ‘Beti Bachao-Beto Padhao’ campaign. This scheme was launched by the Government of India in 2015. It is a small saving scheme wherein investments/savings are done to provide for the needs of the girl child. Only legal guardian/natural guardians are eligible to open an account under this scheme. However, this too has certain restrictions. Under SSY you can open an account in the name of your girl child till the girl turns 10 years old.
The investments in this scheme are used for the girl’s education and marriage once she turns 18 years old. These accounts can be opened with any post office across the country and with the nationalized banks as well. Investments in this scheme is a beneficial deal as it provides higher returns on the investments and also qualifies for a tax deduction of up to Rs. 1.5 lakhs under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act.
A detailed guide on how to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Account with State Bank of India:
As per the directives of the Government, all nationalized banks have the authority to extend ‘Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana’ related facilities. State Bank of India is amongst these banks. You cannot open an account under this scheme via SBI net banking. Follow the instructions mentioned below to get a bank account under this scheme for your daughter.
If you already have an account with SBI, then you can easily open Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account. In this case, you just need to provide the bank with your daughter’s birth certificate and recent passport size photograph of the girl and her guardians.
If you don’t have an account with SBI bank, then you can provide the bank with the following documents to open an account under this scheme.
The documents that need to be furnished for opening SSY account with SBI are:
- Your girl child’s birth certificate so that age and identity of the child are established.
- Parents/legal guardians need to provide the bank with photo ID.
- Proof of address is also a mandatory prerequisite.
- Lastly, a recent photograph of the girl child and her parents is also required.
A step-by-step process to open SSY account with SBI:
- Visit any branch of SBI bank and ask any official for Sukanya Samriddhi account opening form.
- Fill the form carefully and submit the duly filled form along with the documents required.
- During the time of account opening, you also need to make a minimum contribution of Rs. 250.
- After these formalities, your account will be opened.
- Once your account is opened, you can deposit money in your account anytime you want through various modes like demand draft, cheque, and cash.
Important points to remember while opening a SSY account:
- You can only open one account for one girl child. But you can open accounts under this scheme if you are blessed with twin girls.
- You need to make a minimum deposit of Rs. 1000 while opening the account. Additionally, this account also has a ceiling of Rs. 1.5 lakhs per financial year.
- The maturity period of this account is 21 years. Money can also be withdrawn in case of the marriage of the girl.
How to check the balance of your Sukanya Samriddhi Account?
To check your account balance via net banking, it is important that your bank account with net banking facility is linked to your Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA). If this is the case, you can follow the steps mentioned below to check the balance of your SSA. To check the balance of your Sukanya Samriddhi Account via net banking, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the bank’s net banking portal and log in using your account credentials.
- Once logged in, look for a ‘Sukanya Samriddhi Account’ option and click on that.
- You will be re-directed to another portal where you will be asked to log in your Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
- Once you have access to your account, click on ‘balance’ option which is available on the dashboard.
- This option will display all the details related to the balance in your Sukanya Samriddhi Account. If you wish to keep a track of your deposits and withdrawals, it is advisable that you take a print out of the balance summary.
If you have a girl child and you wish to secure her future, then invest in this scheme as soon as possible before you pass the conditions. Invest now and reap the benefits in the future.