The entire human race is stuck being a seller and a consumer. Neither of it is an easy task. As a consumer, you are thrust in the whirlpool of options which gives birth to uncertainty and leads to confusion. As a seller, it becomes your responsibility to make your product of standard quality and appealing. And most importantly be able to reach a wide consumer base. Reaching a wide consumer base has become easy since the e-commerce portals have gained popularity amongst the masses. Our economy is a home for many e-commerce giants like Amazon, Flipkart, BigBasket, Snapdeal, Myntra, Jabong, Shein, and many more. Amongst these is a not so recently launched e-commerce giant, Paytm.
The advent of Paytm:
Paytm was first launched as an e-wallet in the year 2010 by Vijay Shekhar Verma. It started with a capital of $2 million. Initially, it only provided a mobile recharge facility. But over the years, it expanded its base and is now providing a myriad of services like ticket booking (movie/train/flight), bill payments like electricity/DTH/Broadband/Water/Gas bookings/Credit card and many more. It also provides financial services like applying for loans, checking credit score, insurance, helps you buy gold, allows you to invest in mutual funds along with other services. Apart from these, it also allows shopping via Paytm shopping mall and extends gaming and gifting facilities.
With its outstanding growth as an e-commerce portal, it has secured funding from other online portals and to name a few, Alibaba and Softbank. It has also managed to acquire some startups working in different fields like healthcare and tourism. Some of the startups acquired by Paytm are JPlustxt, Jugnoo, and QorQL.
Why Paytm is a viable option for sellers?
Paytm is a viable option for sellers since it started its online shopping facility recently and has been blooming ever since. According to recent statistics, Paytm has a customer base of over 10 crore people spread across 39,000 pin codes in India. Additionally, Paytm has over 60,000 sellers selling in over 500 product categories. The major advantage of selling on Paytm is you save maintenance and development cost. As a seller, you are only required to focus on your sales and the quality of your product.
Who can become a seller on Paytm?
Anyone can become a seller on Paytm since the process is very simple and requires minimal investments.
- Any one person company, public limited company, a private company can apply as a seller. All the transaction will be carried via entity
- Partnership firms are also eligible to apply as a seller
- A Limited Liability Company can also apply with the help of its partner
- Any individual seller managing his/her own business can also register as a seller on Paytm
List of documents required to be eligible as a seller on Paytm:
To register yourself as a seller on Paytm, you will need all the documents mentioned below:
- PAN card: an individual seller is required to submit a copy of his/her PAN. In the case of a partnership firm, or LLP or a company, a PAN card carrying the name of the entity is mandatory.
- GST registration card: to sell on e-commerce portal, a GST registration certificate is a must. You need to present the following documents for GST registration:
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Phone number
- Email address
- Cancelled cheque of a bank account which will be used to receive revenues
- Cancelled cheque issued from the official account of the bank. Applicant’s/account holder’s name should be mentioned on the cheque. Through this cheque, the following information can be verified:
- IFSC code
- Name of the account holder
- Bank account number
- Type of account
- Contact details of the seller: phone number, email address, address
How to register as a seller?
To become a seller on Paytm, you need to acquire all the above-mentioned documents. Once you have all the documents in place, register yourself as a seller on Paytm by following the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, you need to visit the Paytm Seller Registration portal. To visit the portal, click on the link mentioned below:
A screen similar to the one mentioned above should be displayed on your screens once you click on that link.
- You will see ‘Sell on Paytm’ option towards the end of the screen. You need to click on that option and it will take you to ‘Seller panel login’.
- On the next step, you will be asked to ‘Sign in to Paytm’. You need to fill in your registered mobile number/email address along with your Paytm password. Once you have filled in the credentials, click on ‘Login securely’. For reference, look at the image below.
- Once you have put in your credentials, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number and email address. Put in that OTP in its designated space and complete the verification process.
- Once your verification process is complete, you will be taken to your merchant account. Here you’ll asked to fill in your business details like which brands you sell and under which category you would like to sell the products. You can also upload your catalogue after clicking on ‘Skip this and Upload Catalogue’ option.
- Once you have filled in your business details, you will be asked to edit/check your personal information, business information, warehouse information, and financial information. Once you have rechecked the details, you can proceed further.
- Submit all your documents and agree to the terms and conditions laid out by the Paytm. Once you have agreed to the conditions, you will be officially registered as a seller on Paytm.
- Once registered as a seller, set up your dashboard and upload your product catalogue to start selling on Paytm.
For selling your products, Paytm will charge a minimal hosting fee. Whenever you will receive a new order, you will be notified via an email and your dashboard will be updated. For more information about being a seller, you can always refer to ‘Seller helpdesk’ option which is available at the top of your merchant account.
For International sellers:
If you are an international seller and wish to sell in India, then your dream might just come true. Paytm provides an opportunity for international sellers to sell in India. Follow the steps mentioned below to avail of this opportunity:
- Visit Paytm’s seller portal by clicking on this link: https://seller.paytm.com/login
- Scroll down on the same screen and look for ‘Start selling in India’.
- Click on that option and you will be taken to ‘International seller portal’.
A screen like this will appear.
- Click on ‘Get started’ and you will be taken to the ‘Contact Us’ page.
- Fill in all the details and click on ‘Contact Us’ option to send your business details to Paytm. Paytm seller team will get back to you as soon as possible.
If you are into selling commodities and looking forward to expanding your sales, then the Paytm seller portal is the right place for you. It is an exciting opportunity if you are not afraid to experiment with something new because ‘dar ke aage, jeet hai’.