NO MORE SENDING OF ITR’S TO CPC, VERIFICATION WITH EVC INTRODUCED..!
(Last Updated On: May 7, 2019)
The online filing of the returns has made the process easy and fast. But still a litlle bit of manual step lies at the end. So to make the life of taxpayers more easier, Income Tax Department has introduced the concept of EVC to e-verify the returns. With this you dont have to send the physical copy of the ITR to the Central Processing Center (CPC ), within 120 days, thus creating paper free work.
Now the question that hits your mind is What is EVC..? Isn’t it ..? So lets understand the concept of EVC.
What is EVC?
- Its a code that comprises of string of chaaracters that identifies identity of the person filing the return of income.
- Its a 10- digit alpha numeric code, known as Electronic verification code.
- It can be used to verify ITR1/ ITR 2/ ITR 2A/ ITR 3/ ITR 4 / ITR 4S
- This is linked to the Pan of the person filing the return, which means One EVC for One Pan.
- Once generated, EVC is valid for 72 hours
- Only one EVc is used by the verifier to validate one ITR, whether it is original or revised return.
- Incase of HUF, karta can use the EVC to verify the returns.
- It works in the same manner as one time password that one uses for shopping on internet through atm cards
Modes of generation of EVC?
There are 4 ways through which EVC can be generated.
- EVC using registered mobile number and e-mail id- This option of EVC generation is for persons whose total income as per the return is INR 5 lakh or below and there is no refund claim. The assessee can generate EVC after logging in to the account and selecting the option to generate EVC. The EVC generated will be sent on the registered mobile and E-mail ID. This can be used by the assessee to veify the Income Tax Return
- EVC via Aadhar authentication – This is applicable when you handy with your aadhar number and the mobile number entered in it. The aadhar is being linked to your Pan, which verifies your name, D.O.B, gender as available in pan database with aadhar data of UIDAI. After the Aadhar is linked, OTP is generated by UIDAI and send to assessee’s mobile number. This code is used to e-verify the Return.
- EVC using Automatic teller machine (ATM) of the bank – Individuals whose ATM card is linked to the PAN validated bank account, which is registered with the Income Tax Department can use this service to generate the EVC. The verifier has to access the ATM card of the bank by using the atm pin. After the authentication, select the ” GENERATE EVC FOR INCOME TAX DEPARTMENT ” option on the Atm screen. This request is being communicated by the bank to the department which generates the EVC and sends on the registered mobile with the e-filing. Then this EVC can be used to verify your returns.
- EVC through e-filing website via Net Banking – Generating EVC through net banking requires you to route your process of e-filing through banks which are registered with IT department. Only specified banks are registered with the department which provide direct access to account holders whose bank accounts have Pan number validated as part of ‘ Know Your Customer ‘. For this, you have to login into your net banking account and then generate the EVC. This EVC is displayed on the screen as well as send to the validated mobile number. Thus this generated EVC can also be used to verify the returns.
However if none of the above is applicable to you or none works for you, then you need to dowload the ITR V and send it to CPC, bangalore within 120 days of e-filing.