Link PAN Card with your bank account
According to the latest amendments, the Income Tax Department has declared that it will only issue Income Tax Refunds to taxpayers via the e-mode directly into the bank accounts. For this, it is necessary that your PAN is linked to your bank accounts. Additionally, the department declared that it will start sending out the refunds directly into the bank accounts from 1st March 2019 onwards. The bank account could be either of current, savings, cash or overdraft account to receive the refunds. The linking of PAN card to the bank account has been deemed necessary and needs to be done before/by 31st March 2019.
PAN or Permanent Account Number is issued by the Income Tax Department of India. PAN is a mandatory document for almost all the major financial services in India. Initially, the refunds were issued to the taxpayers either directly in their bank accounts or via the account payee cheque. These refunds were issued according to the taxpayer’s slab and it varied from case to case.
Check if your PAN is already linked to the bank account
Are you also in doubt whether your PAN card and bank account details are already linked or not? Well in this case you can check the status by simply logging onto the e-filling website of the Income Tax department. You can visit the portal from the link mentioned below:
- Once you have accessed the portal, on the left side of the screen, you will see ‘Verify your PAN details’ under ‘Quick links’.
- Click on ‘verify your PAN details’. Once you have selected that option, ‘verify your PAN’ will be displayed on the screen. Fill in the details like your PAN number, the name of the PAN holder, date of birth, and the status of the PAN card. After filing in the details, enter the captcha code and click on ‘submit’.
- It will soon show the status of your PAN card.
How to link PAN with your bank account?
If your PAN is not linked to your bank account yet, you still have time to do so. There are different options available using which you can easily link PAN with your bank accounts. The various modes thorugh which you can do the linking are:
- Link via the offline mode
- Link via mobile
- Or, Link via Internet banking
Link via the offline mode:
If you are not so much comfortable using the internet, then fret not!! You can link your bank account to your PAN by visiting the bank also. Follow the steps mentioned below to initiate the linking:
- Visit the branch where you have your bank account.
- Once you have reached your bank, ask for a ‘PAN card updation form’. Fill the form and avoid making mistakes.
- Once filled, submit the form along with the documents mentioned below:
- A letter regarding the updation of PAN addressed to the Branch Manager
- Your duly filled ‘PAN updation KYC form’
- And a self-attested copy of your PAN card
- After all the documents are submitted and checked, PAN will be linked to your bank account.
- The linking through this mode usually takes around 48 hours.
Link via Mobile:
You can also link your bank account to your PAN by using the registered mobile number. For this, it is necessary that you know the customer care number of your bank. Follow the steps mentioned below to undertake the linking process:
- Call the customer care number/toll-free number of your bank. The number can be retrieved either via the official website of the bank or via the advertisements that the banks put up.
- While on call, you will go through an ‘Interactive Voice Response’ (IVR).
- Once you are done through IVR selection, you will be connected to a customer care executive.
- Tell the executive that you wish to link your PAN with your bank account.
- The executive will ask you several questions related to your bank account, your address, mobile number, and questions about your ATM etc. Answer all of them correctly as questioning is mandatory to establish credibility and to make sure it’s actually you and not somebody else in your disguise.
- Once the verification process is complete, share your PAN card details.
- Once the bank has all the information, your PAN will be linked to your bank account within 2 working days.
Link via Internet Banking:
If you are an active Internet banking user, then linking your bank account via this mode will come in handy. Follow the steps mentioned below to link your PAN with your bank account:
- Open the internet banking portal of your bank.
- Log in using your Net banking account credentials.
- After logging in, select ‘PAN card updation’ option available under ‘Service Requests’. You can usually find ‘Service Requests’ tab on the left side of your window.
- Under ‘PAN card updation’, enter your PAN number, your date of birth mentioned on the PAN card and your registered email address.
- Submit all the information and your PAN will be linked to your bank account.
It is imperative that you link your PAN to your bank account since refunds will be handed out only via e-mode. And if your account is not linked to your PAN, you won’t be able to receive refunds. You can choose any of the options mentioned above and complete the linking process. Avoid surpassing the deadline and link PAN to your bank account now.
To know how to link your PAN with Aadhaar card, Click Here