Make TDS (Tax Deduction at Source) Payment Online| NSDL
The assessee is required to pay the taxes on his income. Tax is collected by two modes:
2) Direct payment by assessee i.e. Advance tax/ self- assessment tax.
In this blog, we will take an in-depth understanding on how to make TDS payment.
TDS or Tax Deduction at Source is the amount of tax already deducted from the income of a person before the income is transferred in the hands of the receiver. Consider this example for a better understanding,
Suppose Mr. A has won a lottery for an amount of Rs 1,00,000. TDS on the same needs to be done at the rate of 30%. Now, in this case, the amount that would be given to Mr. A would be Rs 70,000 (Rs 1,00,000 – 30%) and not 1,00,000. Since the tax has been deducted before rendering the income in hands of the receiver it is known as Tax Deduction at Source. If no TDS provisions would have been levied then, MR. A would have received Rs 1,00,000 and later on paid Rs 30,000 (Rs 1,00,000 * 30%) to the government himself.
The TDS so deducted needs to be deposited by the deductor to the government within the fixed time frame. The payment can be done
- Online and
For the offline payment,
The deductor needs to select and fill up the applicable challan form and present the same to the bank with counterfoil of the challan along with the amount required to be paid. Counterfoil will be used as a proof on being stamped by the bank after the challan and payment is accepted, for the future course of action.
But, to the relief and ease of taxpayers, the government has given the online facility. TDS challan payments can be made at the convenience of your place and time. Know below the detailed step by step process on how to make TDS payment online.
Deduction or collection of tax at source (TDS/TCS)
Scheme of TDS is the deduction of tax by the payer from the income of the recipient. It is governed by section 192 to section 196D.
TDS or Tax Deduction at source is a system whereby the income tax is deducted at the time of making payment like rent, interest, etc.
TDS payment can be made online by following these steps:
- Search on google for TDS payment online and you would be shown results as under
- Go to NSDL website for e-payment of taxes. An image as shown under will open up
- Scroll down to find PAY TAXES ONLINE and choose “Click to Pay Tax Online”
- A screen as shown under will appear
- Select the challan in which you are required to make payment.
- You will be directed to the challan page. For challan 281 enter the following details
1. Under Tax Applicable select either the company deductees or Non-company deductee. Company deductee needs to be selected if you have deducted TDS on the payment to be made to a corporate.
2. In the type of payment, select the category of TDS in which you want to pay TDS i.e. TDS payable by the taxpayer or under Regular assessment.
3. Select the Nature of payment like the interest of payment, dividend etc.
4. Choose the mode of payment: Net banking/debit card etc
5. Enter the Tax deduction Account No. and select the Assessment year
6. Mention the address along with the district, state and pin code.
7. Enter the Captcha code and click on proceed button.
- After proceed, a confirmation screen will be displayed. If TAN is valid, the full name of the taxpayer as per the master will be displayed on the confirmation screen.
- After confirmation of the data entered, you will be directed to the net banking site
- Once successful payment is made, a Challan will be displayed containing the detail of payment, CIN, bank name through which payment has been done.
Click on the below-mentioned challan/ Form links to make TDS / TCS payment in other cases
|Challan / Form No||Payment Purpose|
|Challan 280||Advance tax,Tax on regular assessment, Surtax,Tax on distributed profits of domestic company and tax on distributed income to unit holders|
|Challan 282||Payment of STT, Estate tax, Wealth tax, Gift tax, Interest tax, Expenditure/other tax, and Commodities transaction tax|
|Challan 283||Payment of banking cash transaction tax (BCIT) and Fringe benefits tax (FBT)|
|Challan 285||Payment of Equalization levy|
|Challan 286||Payment under income declaration scheme, 2016|
|Challan 287||Payment under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, 2016 (PMGKY)|
|Form 26QB||TDS on property|
|Demand payment on property(26QB)||Payment of demand raised by CPC -TDS against TDS on sale property|
|Form 26QC||Payment of TDS on sale of property|
|Demand payment on rent of property(26QC)||Payment of demand raised by CPC -TDS against TDS on rent of a property|
Calculate the amount of TDS for free with the help of our TDS calculator!!