There used to be a time when anything related to Income Tax was considered as chaotic and time consuming. Not anymore! because filing, refund claiming is becoming more tech-savvy, as all these can be done online from your home. With more than 6 crore taxpayers, managing the returns, refunds or any scrutiny is no longer a menial task for the department. For this purpose, all the taxpayers are divided in wards/ circles and each Income Tax Ward/ Circle is handled by the assigned Assessing Officer (A.O.). But before moving further, let us first understand:
WHAT IS AN INCOME TAX WARD/ CIRCLE ?
Whenever any return is taken up for scrutiny, an information notice is sent to the taxpayer. Since there are thousands of A.O. across the country, how can you identify that out of all, who has the authority to send you that notice. This is where the concept of Income Tax Ward/ Circle comes into play. The A.O. who has control of the ward under which you come, has the power to ask for any information regarding the return filed by you. This brings us to another question:
HOW CAN I KNOW MY INCOME TAX WARD/ CIRCLE ?
Let us warn you! This is one of the most “simplest” things you’ll ever do. There are 2 ways through which you can know your PAN jurisdiction, AO code and area code for PAN card i.e. easy way or super easy way. If not, then you can simply visit Tax2Win and we will do it for you.
1. Simply visit https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and log-in to your account.
2. Select Profile Settings>My Profile>PAN Details.
3. On the same page, you’ll find heading Jurisdiction Details, from there you can see your Income Tax Ward/ Circle.
>SUPER EASY WAY
1. Simply visit https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and on the bottom-left side, you will find “Know Your PAN | TAN | A.O”. From this, select option A.O. to know your jurisdiction A.O.
2. You’ll be directed to a page “Know Your Jurisdictional A.O”. Simply type your PAN, Mobile No and click on Submit. After this, you’ll receive an One Time Password on your registered mobile number, using that you can easily check your Income Tax Ward/ Circle and AO code.
It goes without saying that knowing details about your Income Tax Ward/ Circle is helpful for you in the long run. Though it is optional to provide details about your ITO Ward/ Circle while filing the return but it is considered as a positive tax compliance. Since we have shared such simple, literally very simple steps with you, just make the most of it. Otherwise you could simply connect with Tax2Win and we will do all the work you.
Keep following our blog and social media pages for regular updates to make your Tax Life more easy-breezy.