How to apply for a PAN card and make corrections
(Last Updated On: August 3, 2019)
Permanent Account Number or PAN card is an essential legal identity without which no financial transactions can take place. PAN is a combination of 10 digit alpha-numeric characters which is issued and authorized by the Income Tax department of India. The PAN can be used for a lifetime. Applying for PAN is easy and now the complete process can be done online. Also, nowadays not even a single document is required to be uploaded or required to be sent by post, if you choose to apply PAN on the basis of Aadhaar card details. And, to the surprise of applicants, the e-PAN is sent to the registered mail Id of the applicant the same day. Yes, applying PAN has become way much easier now!!
Just follow this article to know everything a person needs to know before applying for a PAN or seeking to request any corrections in the existing one.
Finding it Difficult to File ITR Yourself?
Hire our Smartest eCA’s to File Your Income Tax Return and Get Maximum Refunds.
Steps to apply for a PAN:
Application for a PAN card can be made online or offline. There are two government authorized websites through which PAN can be applied online and they are:
- NSDL website and
- The UTIITSL website
The government has vested these two organizations with authority to issue PAN cards and accept applications for changes or issuance of duplicate PAN cards.
The application forms available on these websites are simple and clearly specify all the instructions. You need to fill the form and submit it along the processing fee and the documents required. If not online, you also have the option to send the documents via registered postal services to any service unit of NSDL or UTIITSL.
Step by step process to apply for PAN via online means is mentioned below:
- Visit the NSDL website and click on the mentioned link to access the PAN application form: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
Once you have opened the link, a window similar to the image should appear
- Before you start filing the form, it is advisable to go through the instruction manual to avoid any kind of incompetencies. The instruction manual can be found by accessing this link: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/Instructions49A.html#instruct_form49A
- From under the ‘application type’, select the form which is necessary for you (form 49A for resident Indians and form 49AA for non-residents) and from under the ‘category’ option, choose what suits you best.
- After a thorough read, you can start filing the form
- Once you are done filing the form, click on ‘submit’. The screen will display a token number which will be emailed to you. But it is advised that you copy that token number
- Once the token number is generated, you will be re-directed to another screen where you will be asked to select a mode through which you would want to proceed further with the application.
Select amongst the three available options to
(i) Submit digitally via e-KYC and e-Sign
No documents or signatures or any other data is required to be updated or manually sent to NSDL in this mode. The data as per Adhaar would be automatically fetched and you will receive the e-PAN on mail the very same day.
(ii) Submit scanned images via e-Sign and
Under this option documents and signatures are updated in scanned copies online.
(iii) Submit documents physically
The documents for serving proof of Identity, residence and birth are sent manually to the postal address of NSDL.
- Choose your preferred option and proceed by filing all the required details.
- The portal will ask you to make a payment for your PAN application. The charges vary depending upon whether you require a physical copy of PAN card or not.
If the Physical copy is required the fee structure will again depend upon two factors namely, whether PAN card has to be sent on Indian address or Foreign address.
If the physical copy is not required for the PAN card the charges would differ as under.
Also, a point to be noted here is that if the physical copy is not requested, then, furnishing correct mail id is really important. As the e- PAN would be sent on such mail ID.
- Next, you are required to select the applicable Assessing officer Range as per Income Tax.
- After this, you would be taken to the document details page where fill the requisite information like place etc and click on submit to continue. In case you have furnished aadhaar details no documents are either required to be attached in form of scanned copies or sent manually. Aadhaar would be accepted as the one and only documentary proof.
- After this the portal will offer you several payment options. You can choose your payment mode from a credit/debit card, net banking, and demand draft. Once you have made the payment, acknowledgment receipt will be generated. You are advised to note down this acknowledgment number for future reference.
Steps to update/make corrections in your PAN card:
This facility is to be used when you want to make certain changes in your existing PAN card. It can be a name change or a residence change etc. The process to update your PAN is almost similar to the process you must have gone through while applying for the PAN for the first time. The only key differences being
- You are required to visit the NSDL website and from the ‘Application Type’ section, select Changes or corrections in existing PAN data / Reprint of PAN.
- After making this selection you would be mandatorily required to mention your existing Permanent Account Number in the field shown in the image below.
- Rest all the process of selecting PAn application mode, the fees etc would be similar except.
No AO code would be asked again and on the document details page, you would be required to select Proof of PAN additionally.
- Fill in the form as per the instructions and make the necessary payment. The portal will offer several payment modes like a credit/debit card, demand draft and net banking. Make the payment via your preferred mode. After the payment has been received, the website will generate an acknowledgment receipt which you should print and keep safe.
- Once the application has been submitted, you are required to mail NSDL your supporting documents (if chosen not to e-sign or send manually). Your application will be moved further once NSDL acknowledges receiving your documents.
It is important that in case you choose modes other than aadhaar driven online process, the documents you have uploaded or sent are supporting the change or correction you have requested in the PAN card.
How long does the Income Tax department take to issue a PAN card?
Earlier, the process would take up to 15 to 20 days. But now with the latest technology, you can receive PAN card within 48 hours of submitting the application.
How can I apply for PAN card offline?
Applying for PAN offline is also possible. Follow the steps to acquire a PAN through offline means:
- Either download the PAN application form (Form 49A) from the NSDL/UTIITL website or you can ask for one from the UTIITL agents.
- Fill the form and before submitting, attach all the documents necessary for a PAN card application. You should be able to prove your identity, residence and birth with the documents attached.
- Submit the form along with the documents at either NSDL or UTIITL office and pay the processing fee.
- You will receive your PAN card within 15 days. For correct delivery, it is important that you mention the correct residential address.
Can I possess two PAN cards?
No, this is against the Income Tax Act of India. No individual can possess more than one PAN card. There is a penalty of around Rs. 10,000 if an individual is caught possessing more than one PAN card.
Is there any age limit to apply for PAN card?
There is no specific age limit requirement to apply for a PAN card. However, people above the age of 18 are preferred. For minors, parents/guardians need to apply on their behalf.
How many photographs are needed for the PAN application form?
If the applicant is an individual, then two photographs are needed. You need to make sure that your face is clearly visible in the photographs. Photographs should not be damaged in any form. And one of the photographs needs to be cross-signed.
Can I apply for an e-PAN card?
According to the latest revisions, the Income Tax department has come up with a new initiative known as ‘e-PAN card’ through which you can apply for an e-PAN card. The e-PAN card is the PDF Pan card sent to your registered mail id on the same day of successful application to NSDL. Aadhaar is a mandatory pre-requisite to avail of this facility.