Employees’ State Insurance Corporation: Payment Process
Employees’ State Insurance Scheme provides online services for payments to all the members of the ESIC. The ESI scheme extends medical benefits not only to the employees but also to their immediate family members. The online portal extends payment facility along with other facilities like registration, login, and also acts as an information guide. Currently, SBI bank account holders have the facility of making an online payment via the net banking options of the bank.
The contributions to the ESI scheme are made both by the employer as well as the employee. The amount or the percentage of the amount which is contributed is decided by the corporations and the period for contributions and cash benefits differ.
For online payment of the ESI, you necessarily require two components:
- Netbanking Id and password for SBI bank
- User ID and password for the ESIC portal
To get the User Id and password for the ESIC portal, you need to be registered with the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation.
Steps for Online payment:
- Go to the official ESIC website by clicking on the link: https://www.esic.in
You should keep in mind that this link is only compatible with either Mozilla Firefox or with Internet Explorer version 7.0 or higher than that.
The image below shows how the home page of the ESIC portal looks like. You should also be able to see a similar screen.
- Log in by clicking on the ‘click here to login’ option on the right side of the screen
- Put in your ESIC Id and password in the designated space
- After successfully logging in, you will see a list of various hyperlinks which will re-direct you to the selected portal
Process for Filing Monthly Contributions
Process for filing the monthly contributions and generating e-Challan is easy to follow. You have to follow the process till logging in the account using your credentials. Post-logging in, choose ‘File Monthly Contribution’ from the right side of the screen under ‘Monthly Contribution’. But before filing for the monthly contribution, an Insured person/the employee is registered with the ESIC portal and correct information has been furnished by the employee.
- After selecting the ‘File Monthly Contribution’, fill in all the details asked on the screen
You will be asked to select a month and a year for which the contributions have been made. Following this, you will be asked to put in the employer’s code and option via which you can upload the data.
- The portal will give you two options for uploading the data. One way is by uploading the excel sheet and the other is by putting the entry of the contributions online
By uploading the excel sheet: this is one of the ways through which data can be uploaded.
- click on the ‘Sample MC excel template’ and save the template.
- Fill in information like 10 digit employee number, employee name, number of working days, total wages, and last day of employment if the employee has left work or any other reason.
- According to the details furnished, the system will automatically calculate the employee’s and the employer’s contribution.
- Save the file at the desired location. To upload the file, click on ‘Upload Excel’, browse the file from your PC, select it and click on ‘Upload’.
Entering Contributions Online:
This is another way through which you can fill in the contributions.
- After filing in all the details, click on ‘Submit’
- This will give you the list of Insured persons on the next page
- Fill in the details like the number of days worked, monthly wages, and the number of days. The system will automatically compute the contributions of the employer and the employee.
- Fill in all the information related to all the employees and keep saving data. After you have furnished all the information, click on ‘Preview’ button
- You will get this window once you click on ‘Preview’ button. Verify the information and check the ‘Data Verified’ option and click on ‘Submit’
- After submitting the details, you can pay online via SBI net banking portal by selecting ‘Pay online’ option
- Once you select to pay online, you will have to accept and click ‘Ok’ on the pop-up box shown on the image below. Your request will be forwarded and a challan number will be generated. It is important that you note down this number for future referencing
- After the challan is generated, click on ‘continue’ to proceed further with the payment process at the SBI net banking portal
- Log in the portal with using your SBI net banking user name and password
- After logging in, select the account number to be used for internet banking and confirm the account number
- Again click on ‘confirm’ to complete the process
- Once you have completed the process, the portal will re-direct you back to the home page of ESIC
- The portal will share the details of the successful payment and you might want to print the receipt. Although, it is advisable that you print the receipt and keep it with you
Generating Challan Online:
For Generating Challan Online, reach the following window by logging in the ESIC website as shown above.
- Select ‘Generate Challan’ from under ‘Monthly Contribution’ on the right side of the screen
- After selecting the required option, you will be re-directed to another window
- Enter the asked code and click on ‘View’. This option will display a list of records. The employer needs to select a record against which the user wishes to make a payment. Enter the amount which needs to be paid. It provides two modes: online and offline mode. Select the online mode and submit the details.
- After you submit the details, a pop-up message will appear and will need your approval. So click on ‘OK’ and this will take you further in the process
- After confirming, it will generate a challan number as it generated under ‘filing the contributions online’
- The process further is the same as mentioned above. After the challan is generated, you will be taken to the SBI net banking portal. Login with your credentials and select the net banking account. Verify the information and click on ‘Confirm’ to complete the process
- Once the process is complete, you will be re-directed to the ESIC portal with details of the successful transaction. It is advisable that you either save this page or take a print.
Printing/ Re-Printing the Challan:
For this process, you will again have to log in the ESIC website by clicking on the link: https://www.esic.in. After logging in, you will see a window with several hyperlinks segregated under various sections.
- You have to click on ‘Online Challan Double Verification’ which is the last option under ‘Monthly Contributions’
- After you have clicked on the link, you will be taken to the challan double verification page. Enter the Employer’s code along with the challan number
- After entering the details, click on submit and it will give you the entire transaction summary. From here, you can either save it or print it